Lost or Found a Pet?

Losing a pet is stressful.  To increase the chances of a happy ending, Alberta Animal Services urges you to take immediate action to recover your pet.  Any delay may significantly decrease your chances of the safe recovery of your pet.  Don’t wait a few days to see if he’ll come home, start looking right away.  We can help you through it. Call us at (403)347-2388 .

Step-by-Step Checklist


  • Look around your neighbourhood right away, check with neighbours, the mail carrier and children playing in the area. Ask for home owners to check garages, under decks, around sheds and greenhouses etc.
  • Call all vet clinics in your area,
  • Place a lost ad on all Social Media Pages and Kijiji you can call all of the Radio Stations. Check Kijiji and Facebook you can also post your lost report on our Facebook page
  • Put up posters in your neighbourhood and deliver flyers door to door with a description of your pet.
  • Other Associations Who Might Have Custody of Your Pet
  • Red Deer & District SPCA 403-342-7722

    Veterinary Clinics in your area

    Animal Emergency in Red Deer (403) 347-3277

  • Don't give up! We have returned lost pets to their owners after months, and even years, of separation!


If you need to report an animal in distress, animal abuse, the welfare of any animal or an animal abandoned by its owner. Please Contact the Alberta SPCA at 1-800-455-9003 or visit their website at www.albertaspca.org

Found a Pet?

So, a stray animal has decided you can rescue him and you don't know quite what to do. We can help!  A sick or injured stray should be brought to the Alberta Animal Services or to a vet clinic right away. There is no charge to you for bringing a stray to the shelter or a clinic. If you have found a mother and a litter or an orphaned litter, contact us at (403)347-3288 for advice before taking action. Do not move the litter unless they are in immediate danger.  AAS does have a pick up service.  Alberta Animal services can be contacted at 1 (403) 347-2388 and will pick up animals within Red Deer city limits.  If you have found an injured or orphaned wild animal contact Medicine River Wildlife Centre at (403) 728-3467 or for large wildlife contact Alberta Fish and Wildlife at 403-297.6423.  Do not move or approach the animal.

Locating the Owner

  • Check to see if the animal has any form of identification - city license, tattoo, rabies tag, personalized identification tag, or microchip. If so contact Alberta Animal Services at (403) 347-2388 and we are happy to trace the tags or tattoo’s for you. We also post images and descriptions of animals found in Red Deer and area please check our found pets page on our website.
  • Register the animal on PetLynx.
  • Place a found ad in the newspaper (often a free service) and check the lost advertisements.
  • Post notices in the area where the animal was found with a description or photo and information about how you can be contacted.
  • Ask neighbours if they recognize the cat or dog you have found, or if they know of a household that recently lost a pet. If someone claims to be the animal's owner, insist on identification and proof of ownership before releasing him.


Bringing the Animal In

If the animal was found within in the city limits of Red Deer, you must bring him to Alberta Animal Services at 4640 61 Street.  If the dog was found outside the city limits of Red Deer, give us a call at (403)347-3288. If you are unable to bring the animal to a shelter, please call Alberta Animal Services for further assistants please note that in the City of Red Deer we do not under any circumstance pick up confined cats. If transportation is absolutely impossible - for stray dogs contact Alberta Animal Services at (403)347-3288 to arrange for a pick-up. Please call during office hours: Monday to Friday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday’s 9:00 am to12:00 pm
Closed all Sundays and Saltatory Holidays

Keeping the Animal





Can I keep a stray Animal that I found?
Only the Municipality, or the Organization/Agency contracted by the Municipality to provide Animal Care & Control Services, has the legal authority over stray animals and the appointed authority is established by the Municipal Bylaw and the Province.

Most pet owners with lost pets will contact Alberta Animal Services to place a lost report and will visit the facility to look for their pet. This facility has the means to take lost reports and to trace any identification so that the lost pet can be returned quickly to its home.

Alberta Animal Services provides legal holding periods for strays that are set by the Animal Protection Act of Alberta and the City of Red Deer Municipal Bylaw. If you were to simply keep a stray you’ve found, you are vulnerable to legal action if the owner should come forward.

If you wish to keep the animal Alberta Animal Services can contact you when and if the animal is up for adoption and give you the chance to legally adopt the animal. If the Animal is not claimed by its owner after the legal holding period the animal legally becomes property of Alberta Animal Services and we then have the legal right to adopt the animal out.


Adopt a Pet

Our Mission

To maintain the safety of the citizens and the animals in our community through education, enforcement and leadership.

Contact us