Alberta Animal Services Job Opportunities
Alberta Animal Services strives to foster a safe environment where people and pets can live together in our communities. If you have a passion for public service and want to make a difference in the lives of the people and animals in our community, then come and work with us. We are committed to working in a happy environment and offer competitive wages, and benefits. From time to time we are looking for new members for our team.
Municipal Enforcement/Animal Control Officer
Seasonal Municipal Enforcement/Animal Control Officer – NOW HIRING
Seasonal April 1st – September 30th Full time hours
Seasonal Municipal Enforcement/Animal Control Officers receive training through our in-house training program. The Officer is responsible for ensuring compliance with Municipal Bylaws through education, enforcement and prevention.
Examples of responsibilities may include:
- Conduct scheduled vehicle and foot patrols through the City of Red Deer to maximize public contact, provide information to the public, and initiate investigations and prosecutions as required.
- Apprehending stray domestic animals and some wildlife and processing them through intake into the shelter.
- Conducting licenses checks and follow-ups on non-renewals.
- Under direct supervision the Officer will be responsible for some investigational work involving enforcement of the Municipal Bylaws and processing the violations and complaints.
- Providing evidence in Provincial Court in relation to prosecuting outstanding charges issued.
- Park bike patrols – educating animal owners in relation to the bylaws in the city.
- Assisting other Officers with case files or shelter operation staff with animals within the Shelter.
- Foster relationships with other organizations and agencies: RCMP, City of Red Deer Peace Officers, Alberta Fish and Wildlife, Medicine River Wildlife Centre.
- 40 hours per week
- Shift Thursdays – Mondays (shifts may vary depending on overall shift coverage), daytime and evening shifts.
- On call rotation (7day period every four weeks) for emergencies during after-hours.
- Must possess a complete high school diploma.
- Must have a clean Criminal Record.
- Must have a valid class 5 Alberta Driver’s License with a driver’s abstract with minimal demerits
- The position requires highly developed verbal and written communication skills and can demonstrate strong dispute resolution skills.
- Knowledge of domestic animal breeds and handling animals is an asset.
- Capable of performing the physical requirements of the position which includes heavy lifting, running, and the ability to handle aggressive animals.
- In order to be effective, the Officer must be capable of dealing with aggressive/confrontational people and implement creative solutions in order to obtain compliance to a situation using tact and good judgement.
- Develop knowledge of sound investigative skills, including: interviewing skills, statement analysis, a comprehensive understanding of evidence.
Salary: $18.00 – $21.00 an hour based on experience and qualifications.
Please submit resume and qualifications by email: email@example.com or by dropping off resume to 4640-61 Street, Red Deer, AB.